Our ‘CHOICES’ perpetrator programme aims to challenge beliefs, attitudes and the behaviour of men aged 18 and over, who engage in acts of domestic abuse. This intervention enables us to increase the safety of victims of domestic abuse.
The programme will support change and men’s understanding of abuse and relationships, teaching ways of being non-abusive, and taking men through a highly structured programme, which step by step, supports positive change.
Depending on the individual’s circumstances and location we can work with perpetrators in both one-to-one and group settings (currently being provided by Zoom). Support is provided free of charge within the Dyfed Powys Police area: CARMARTHENSHIRE, PEMBROKESHIRE, CEREDIGION and POWYS. All support outside of this area is chargeable.
This is not an anger management programme, or a counselling service.
The CHOICES perpetrator programme mainly operates throughout the Dyfed Powys region.
There is an initial assessment which must be completed before taking part in the programme.
The course runs weekly for approximately 8 months (35 weeks) through a series of one-to-one sessions and group work in accordance with the RESPECT accreditation standards, with support being offered for the partner and ex-partners of the men that we work with. This is to ensure a a safety plan is implemented and that the partners/ex-partners have an understanding of the CHOICES programme.
This programme is run on a rolling basis with various points at which new men can join the programme.
Topics covered on the programme include:
- Emotional Intimacy
- Sexual Respect
- Support and Trust
The aims of the programme are:
- To reduce the impact of domestic abuse through positive engagement and an innovative approach.
- Increase the safety of victims and their families experiencing domestic abuse.
- Help participants on the programme to understand the effects of their behaviour on their partners, children and others.
- Encourager participants to take responsibility for their behaviour and make positive steps to change.
- Understand the reason why they use violence and abuse.
Those supported through the CHOICES programme have reported:
- A significant improvement in their relationships
- Improved communication
- A significant reduction in violence
- Improved parenting
- Enhanced awareness of the effects that domestic violence has on their partners and children
- Children reported feeling safer
- Health and wellbeing of the whole family had increased
- A reduction in police involvement
For some case studies of the work done on this programme, press the profile photos below:
Referrals can be made by partner agencies or by the individuals themselves. Please email email@example.com or telephone 01554 752422 if you live within the Dyfed Powys Police Area.
Outside of the Dyfed Powys Police area:
Referral received from statutory organisations such as Social Services, Probation etc: £1,800
Please contact Richard Owen for further information and a breakdown of the programme: ROwen@Threshold-das.org.uk
If you have taken part in our CHOICES programme, please can you complete the following questionnaire following this link!